Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 11 - 20 of about 10,165 matching the query, best matches first.
STATE'S ANALYSIS OF COAL VALUES COULD BE FLAWED
- The Tax Department's latest list of recent coal sales could unfairly increase property taxes on coal landowners. Unless the new list is changed, the value of an acre of unmined coal will jump from $450 to $800 in Southern West Virginia....
Published: Sunday, September 08, 1996
NEW FIGURES MAY CUT NORTHERN COAL TAXES
- Coal property taxes in central and northern West Virginia could be slashed next year. A new Department of Tax and Revenue list of recent coal sales reveals that coal lands sold for less than $150 an acre in several counties. Coal taxes...
Published: Sunday, December 18, 1994
BRAXTON COAL LOTS TAKE HALF OF TAX LIST
- SUTTON - More than half the coal sales used by state officials to justify property tax policies are sales from Braxton County, which has never even been one of the state's leading coal counties. More than 90 percent of the 475 sales...
Published: Monday, August 22, 1994
COAL TAX LIST WRONG AGAIN, HECHLER SAYS
- Secretary of State Ken Hechler dismisses the state Tax Department's new list of coal reserve sales as "obviously faulty." But a high-ranking tax official says, "If our methods are wrong, what methods are better?" Tax and Revenue Secretary...
Published: Sunday, December 04, 1994
TAX AGENCY'S NEW COAL SALES LIST OMITS MAJOR DEALS
- The state Tax Department's new list of coal sales, released Thursday, represents about one-quarter of the value of sales on last year's list and less than one-third of the total acreage. Of the 143 sales on the new list, only 10 involve...
Published: Sunday, June 04, 1995
STATE TAX APPRAISERS UNDERVALUE COAL RESERVES
- Coal reserves on the state tax department's new list of "typical" recent coal transactions sold for a total of $104.7 million. Tax department appraisers, however, concluded these lands are worth only $62.6 million, or $42.1 million...
Published: Sunday, June 23, 1996
UNMINED COAL RESERVES STILLTAXED AT BELOW-MARKET VALUE
- land values would "overvalue" most coal lands in the state. If Knight used the actual average value of coal sales in his own new list, coal property taxes would increase by 43 percent in the booming southern coalfields. Coal property...
Published: Sunday, February 04, 1996
COAL TAX PLAN CRITICIZED
- The West Virginia Coal Association is upset with state tax department plans to increase property taxes on unmined coal in Southern West Virginia by 77 percent. "West Virginia coal owners already pay significantly higher property taxes...
Published: Sunday, September 22, 1996
COAL PROPERTY TAXES GOING UP AGAIN
- SUNDAY GAZETTE-MAIL Coal landowners in Southern West Virginia will soon be paying much higher property taxes if a list of coal reserve values filed on Friday is not challenged in court. James H. Paige III, state Department of Tax and...
Published: Sunday, November 17, 1996
LARGEST LOTS VIOLATE RULES FOR TAX LIST
- Deeds for the largest 65 coal sales on the Tax Department list come from 17 counties. Together, they represent 88 percent of the total price and total acreage on the complete list of 928 sales. Tax Department officials have said repeatedly...
Published: Sunday, August 21, 1994