Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 5 - 14 of about 3,624 matching the query, best matches first.
Attack on Benjamin ad left out facts of Arbaugh case
- case" of Tony Dean Arbaugh. The Arbaugh case has been at the center of an advertisement used in Brent Benjamin's race for the Supreme Court against incumbent Judge Warren McGraw, who voted to free Arbaugh back in March. Bailey attacked...
Published: Monday, September 20, 2004
Supreme Court blocks Calif. execution
- SAN FRANCISCO - The Supreme Court late Monday let stand an appeals court's stay for a man who hacked four people to death in 1983, denying California's request to let the execution proceed as planned. The demand by the 9th U.S. Circuit...
Published: Tuesday, February 10, 2004
'The Pig Case' Court's ruling shows 'activist' unfair
- OUR state Supreme Court race is bogged down in cliches, with Circuit Judge Jim Rowe and Charleston attorney Brent Benjamin lambasting Justice Warren McGraw as an "activist" attempting to impose his own ideas on an oppressed minority....
Published: Friday, April 30, 2004
Darwin under fire: intelligent design vs. evolution
- origins points to design rather than a process of random mutation and natural selection." Having failed twice to persuade the U.S. Supreme Court that "creationism" is a legitimate scientific theory, anti-evolutionists have seized on...
Published: Sunday, December 12, 2004
Rowe, McGraw differ in style, outlook Campaign 2004
- If you're a McGraw voter, he's the emotional, charismatic populist, a man who always sticks up for the people. If you're a Rowe voter, he's the subdued and steady hand who will bring balance to the Supreme Court. Each is trying to cut...
Published: Friday, May 07, 2004
- PORTLAND, Maine - The Maine Supreme Court on Monday declined to overturn the manslaughter and kidnapping convictions of a West Virginia man whose partner in a marijuana-growing operation was tied to a tree and later found dead in 1989....
Published: Tuesday, November 23, 2004
Alberto Gonzales named as successor to Ashcroft
- a decade, serving as general counsel when Bush was governor of Texas, and then as secretary of state and as a justice on the Texas Supreme Court. "My confidence in Al was high to begin with. It has only grown with time," the president...
Published: Thursday, November 11, 2004
Fair, accurate information needed
- troubling for me to imagine Tony Arbaugh's abusive childhood, and just as troubling to see a candidate for the West Virginia Supreme Court exploit Arbaugh's misfortune for political gain. Gazette reporter Paul Nyden chronicled Arbaugh's...
Published: Monday, October 18, 2004
Court attack ads part of a trend, Crime cases are common
- ads, she said. As the head of the Democracy Project at NYU's Brennan Center for Justice, Goldberg has been watching these groups for the last four years. She said they are changing the tone of state Supreme Court elections, and not...
Published: Sunday, October 03, 2004
Legislature has addressed same-sex marriages, prosecutor
- The state Supreme Court should reject a petition seeking the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses in Kanawha County because the Legislature decided in 2000 that marriage is a union between a man and a woman, prosecutor Mike Clifford...
Published: Tuesday, March 30, 2004