Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 12 - 21 of about 3,347 matching the query, best matches first.
- of a fatal fire in January 2006 and up to $2.4 billion in fines for thousands of alleged violations of the Clean Water Act. Massey is the nation's fourth-largest coal producer by revenue. The company operates 19 mining complexes in...
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2007
EARTH TALK AHOY, ALL EARTH-FRIENDLY VESSELS
- new marine engines will burn gas much more efficiently and generate much less pollution than most models out on the water today. According to the EPA, traditional two-stroke boat engines waste significant amounts of gasoline and oil,...
Published: Monday, April 23, 2007
ANY PENALTIES SHOULD BE BELOW MAXIMUM, MASSEY SAYS
- Massey Energy Co. said Tuesday that the federal government has inflated the number of times it allegedly violated the U.S. Clean Water Act. The Richmond, Va.-based coal company also disputed estimates it faces $2.4 billion in fines...
Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2007
NEW TOILETS FLUSH WITH SUCCESS
- technology is ready, it's been tested, and it's receiving rave reviews from customers," EPA spokesman Benjamin Grumbles said. "There's real enthusiasm for high-efficiency toilets. Water conservation is really the wave of the future."...
Published: Monday, November 26, 2007
DEP PLAN COULD CHANGE POTABLE WATER
- A preliminary study found that West Virginians eat fewer locally caught fish than national averages used by EPA to calculate recommended federal water quality rules, Mandirola said. The study has some holes, he said. It counted the...
Published: Friday, November 30, 2007
HEDGE FUND OFFICIALS QUIT MASSEY BOARD
- faces a host of legal problems. It's being sued by federal prosecutors for thousands of alleged violations of the Clean Water Act and, though Massey disputes the figure, by some estimates faces $2.4 billion in fines. Separately, Massey...
Published: Friday, June 15, 2007
BUSH TAPS EX-MASSEY EXEC FOR DOE SEAT
- 100,000 gallons of coal slurry into two Logan County, W.Va., streams in 2002; and when officers for two Massey Energy subsidiaries pleaded guilty to water quality charges in 2002 stemming from separate discharges into a West Virginia...
Published: Saturday, December 15, 2007
WEB WINNERS - BUILDING GREEN
- commercial buildings link to articles and publications on improving workers' air quality, and lists of water-saving device manufacturers. www.epa.gov/greenbuilding/ Green TV This Web site is a companion to a TV show about building an...
Published: Sunday, September 16, 2007
TOXIC DISCHARGES RISE IN W.VA., NATIONWIDE
- have dropped over the last five years. But in West Virginia, toxic emissions to both the air and water increased in 2005 compared to five years ago, according to EPA data. During the most recent reporting period, from 2004 to 2005,...
Published: Friday, March 23, 2007
WHITE BUCK SENTENCING DELAYED
- Last week, federal regulators filed a new lawsuit that alleged widespread water pollution violations by Massey's operations in West Virginia and Kentucky. On Monday, Massey stock prices dropped about 9 percent, to $27.60 per share....
Published: Tuesday, May 15, 2007