Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 4 - 13 of about 7,465 matching the query, best matches first.
STATE CAMPAIGNS ARE HEATING UP AS THEY WIND DOWN
- trail. After spending at least $725,000 on his campaign to oust Democrats from the Legislature, Massey Energy Co. chief Don Blankenship has cried foul over the removal of his yard signs from public property where they are illegal. Blankenship...
Published: Monday, October 16, 2006
BLANKENSHIP MONEY SHAKES UP SLEEPY RACES TURNOUT COULD DETERMINE CONTROL OF LEGISLATURE
- where name recognition and personal connections decide who wins. But this year is different. Massey Energy chief executive Don Blankenship has poured about $2 million into the mix, the equivalent of $50,000 for each of the 41 Republicans...
Published: Sunday, November 05, 2006
DEMOCRATS HOLD SEATS IN KANAWHA'S 30TH GOP TRIO RE-ELECTED IN 32ND; WEBSTER WINS
- Democrats beat back a challenge from Republicans and Massey Energy CEO Don Blankenship to retain all eight of their seats in the House of Delegates. All six Democratic incumbents in the sprawling 30th District will return to the Legislature,...
Published: Wednesday, November 08, 2006
BLANKENSHIP TARGETS STATE HOUSE RACES MASSEY COAL CHIEF TO SPEND PERSONAL WEALTH TO 'CHANGE THE LEADERSHIP'
- a new goal for himself Friday, when the Massey Energy Co. chief announced plans to wrest control of at least one chamber of the state Legislature from the majority Democrats in November. In coordinated press appearances, Blankenship...
Published: Tuesday, July 18, 2006
GOP WILL TAKE HOUSE, BLANKENSHIP SAYS
- target any legislator shown to have "voted against the people of West Virginia," said the Republican Party will win a majority in the House of Delegates in 2006. Blankenship made the prediction Saturday night during the Berkeley County...
Published: Monday, February 20, 2006
DEMOCRATS' WINS MAY AFFECT HOUSE SPEAKER CONTEST LABOR-BACKED DELEGATES EXPECTED TO FAVOR THOMPSON
- said Kanawha County Commissioner Kent Carper, a Democrat who has watched the races closely. "If they couldn't take control, the Blankenship people had their eye on the speaker's gavel as their consolation prize," Carper said. "But it...
Published: Thursday, November 09, 2006
MANCHIN ANGRY OVER BILL LAWMAKERS
- didn't end with the usual photo-op with Gov. Joe Manchin, surrounded by smiling lawmakers, praising the work of the Legislature. House Democrats, in particular, were not in a celebratory mood. They were still fuming over a tirade Manchin...
Published: Sunday, November 19, 2006
PARTIES SPARK BACKERS TO VOTE
- despite an unprecedented, multimillion-dollar statewide campaign by Massey Energy Co. head Don Blankenship to drive Democrats from the Legislature. With all 100 House of Delegates seats up, Blankenship wants to deliver a Republican...
Published: Tuesday, November 07, 2006
STATEHOUSE BEAT HOUSE DEMS EXUBERANT AT SURVIVING GANTLET
- a blistering, multimillion-dollar attack campaign by Massey CEO Don Blankenship basically unscathed. As one delegate noted, Blankenship had done the impossible: He had united the various factions of House Democrats, at least momentarily....
Published: Sunday, November 12, 2006
DEMS' CAMPAIGN ENDS IN MARMET BYRD SCHEDULED TO SPEAK AT RALLY
- House of Delegates candidates, The Associated Press has reported. Carper said those running for the Democrat-controlled House, which Blankenship has vowed to make Republican-controlled, have been vastly outspent. "We have a citizen...
Published: Monday, November 06, 2006