Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 5 - 14 of about 1,782 matching the query, best matches first.
TRIAL OPENS IN COAL TRUCK DRIVER'S DEATH
- died of gunshot wounds suffered while driving for Samoyed Energy Co. on May 29, 1985. Charged with conspiracy and other federal counts are Arnold Ray Heightland of Columbus, Ohio, and Pike County residents James Smith, David Russell...
Published: Wednesday, November 25, 1987
Jury deliberating case of coal trucker's death
- are charged with conspiracy to damage a vehicle used in interstate commerce in the strike-related attack on Coburn Mountain that killed Hayes West, 35, of Pike County, on May 29, 1985. In addition, each defendant was charged with two...
Published: Thursday, December 17, 1987
Woman's cousins accused of killing son
- 2496 and is David Thornsbury's first cousin. Also arrested were brothers Irvin and James Darryl Smith, officials said. Arnold Ray Heightland of Columbus, Ohio, also was charged in connection with the shooting. All five face charges...
Published: Sunday, August 09, 1987
Defense fund started for five
- and brothers Irvin Smith, 47, vice president of the local, and James Darryl Smith, 35, all of Meathouse Fork at Canada, Ky., and Arnold Ray Heightland, 45, of Columbus, Ohio. All except Irvin Smith are being held without bond pending...
Published: Sunday, August 30, 1987
Mountaintop became war zone, witnesses say
- Samoyed Energy Co.'s preparation plant in Pike County, the site of picketing in a bitter United Mine Workers strike against the A.T. Massey Co. in Kentucky and West Virginia. "It was just like war," said Johnson, who was wounded in...
Published: Thursday, November 26, 1987
FORMER CO-DEFENDANT TESTIFIES AGAINST BROTHER
- in Kentucky and West Virginia. The four defendants met in a Pike County pizza parlor on the eve of the attack that killed Hayes West, 35, and agreed that "something or other" had to done to halt company shipments, Smith said. Later...
Published: Tuesday, December 08, 1987
Four UMW members convicted for attack
- of UMW Local 2496 in Canada in Pike County, his cousin, David Thornsbury, 32, James Darryl Smith, 35, all of Pike County, and Arnold Ray Heightland, 45, of Columbus, Ohio. They were convicted of conspiracy to damage a vehicle used in...
Published: Friday, December 18, 1987
Sixth man charged in shooting
- cousin David Russell Thornsbury, 32, brothers, James Darryl Smith, 35, and Irvin Smith, 47, all of Canada, and Arnold Ray Heighland, 45, of Columbus, Ohio. Heightland faces an additional charge of possession of a firearm by a convicted...
Published: Sunday, September 13, 1987
No UMW dues to pay suspects' legal fees
- James Darryl Smith, 35, also of Canada, Ky.; and Arnold Ray Heightland, 45, of Columbus, Ohio. All five face charges of conspiracy to damage and disable motor vehicles used in interstate commerce. In addition, Heightland is charged...
Published: Saturday, August 15, 1987
CO-DEFENDANTS DENY ROLE IN ATTACK
- Monday at their trial in the strike-related 1985 sniper death of a non-union coal truck driver in Pike County. "No," Arnold Ray Heightland, 45, of Columbus, Ohio, responded when asked if he had been involved in the sniper attack that...
Published: Tuesday, December 15, 1987