Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 10 - 19 of about 1,663 matching the query, best matches first.
A.T. MASSEY PERMIT ACTION CHALLENGED
- new permits to Massey, including five permits sought by its Logan County subsidiary, Aracoma Coal Co. Aracoma plans to strip parts of Blair Mountain, where more than 10,000 union miners fought company-hired guards and federal troops...
Published: Sunday, June 16, 1991
MASSEY VULNERABLE TO MORE LEGAL ACTION
- Coal for reapplication and republication in newspapers. "However, the court agreed with the essence of our position that the Blair Mountain site has historical significance," McDaniel said. "The court said that any permits issued to...
Published: Monday, July 22, 1991
BERACHAH MINING FORFEITED BOND
- have focused their protests on the mountaintop removal mine. They contend it would damage what historic value may be left on Blair Mountain. They are not trying to block the deep mining permits. Rep. Nick J. Rahall, D-W.Va., held Congressional...
Published: Sunday, March 31, 1991
- and contractors when applying for permits, so violations can be detected. Kanawha Circuit Judge Tod Kaufman halted a Massey mine on Blair Mountain in Logan County, contending that Massey hadn't made sufficient disclosure. Because of...
Published: Saturday, September 14, 1991
MASSEY WANTS TO STRIP MINE BLAIR MOUNTAIN
- Mountain battlefield. Rep. Nick J. Rahall, D-W.Va., may ask Congress next month to save the mountain from Massey's machines. "Blair Mountain is a site of national significance, not only in the annals of labor history, but in American...
Published: Sunday, December 23, 1990
UMW MOTIVES QUESTIONED
- a permit hearing on the "Ethel Project' in Logan County. This project is to be located near Blair Mountain. THERE WERE SEVERAL GROUPS THAT VOICED OPPOSITION TO THIS STRIP mine permit. The UMW has spearheaded this opposition. Their argument...
Published: Monday, April 08, 1991
MASSEY TURNS OVER CONTRACTOR LIST
- lawyer Perry D. McDaniel represents a coalition of labor and environmental groups trying to keep Massey from strip mining near Blair Mountain in Logan County. "Massey's admissions in federal court support our contentions that Massey...
Published: Wednesday, November 27, 1991
DEP delays big strip mine permit
- has run Blair Barber Shop since 1964. Today, it is the last business remaining in the town of Blair, Logan County. A massive strip mine looms on the mountain above the town, and a mining company is asking for permits to mine 3,200 additional...
Published: Sunday, January 18, 1998
BLAIR SITE SIGNIFICANT, STUDY SAYS
- Circuit Judge Tod Kaufman. Political pressure from Massey officials and from Dingess-Rum Coal Co., which owns the land near Blair Mountain, has failed to resolve the dispute Carl Frischkorn, president of Battle Ridge Cos., has also...
Published: Monday, September 07, 1992
Blair mine gets permit Federal regulators set stage for
- No. 1 Mine from the settlement. Arch's Hobet Mining Inc. subsidiary wants to strip 3,100 acres of hills and hollows near historic Blair Mountain in Logan County. The 5-square-mile project is the largest strip mine permit in state history....
Published: Saturday, January 23, 1999