Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 74 - 83 of about 10,085 matching the query, best matches first.
"Matewan' gets push from UMW local
- A United Mine Workers local is encouraging people to see the movie "Matewan" as a way to form an opinion against the right-to-work issue in West Virginia. Advertisements appeared in both Charleston newspapers Friday with the words...
Published: Saturday, October 31, 1987
MCGRAW TURNS DOWN RALLY CALL
- of a reporter's error, a story in Saturday's Gazette incorrectly described a forum for Supreme Court candidates as a "right-to-work rally." The forum, which will be Tuesday, is sponsored by the Beckley Chamber of Commerce. The characterization...
Published: Saturday, March 19, 1988
TOO MANY COUNTIES IN WEST VIRGINIA
- I liked Mr. William Miernyk's comment in the Gazette about the number of small counties in West Virginia. He was right on target when he said this situation was wasteful of the taxpayers' money. The 1980 census shows that 24 of our...
Published: Thursday, September 07, 1989
LET'S APPLY COMMON SENSE TO INSURANCE CRISIS
- typical business-clobbering tactic. He has the temerity to deplore the business climate of West Virginia while urging a socialist solution of state-operated liability insurance system. That would really be a turning of the clock backward....
Published: Thursday, June 19, 1986
CHARACTER OF UNIONS CHANGING
- this dramatic shift in the relative strength of trade unions? Conservatives, particularly those active in the so-called "right to work" movement, believe it reflects a resurgence of individualism. A more likely explanation, however,...
Published: Monday, June 23, 1986
Public needs education on right-to-work bill
- article, state Sen. C.N. Harman of Taylor County stated that he is going public to educate the people in the need for a right-to-work law, a right-to-work bill that he has presented to our Legislature for the past 14 sessions. Will...
Published: Saturday, February 14, 1987
Some bills move, some stall in Legislature
- Death penalty, a bill to give West Virginia capital punishment. Stalled in Senate Constitution Revision Committee. Right to work, a proposed constitutional amendment to allow state employers to hire outside unions. Stalled in House...
Published: Sunday, March 01, 1987
HERE IS THE STATUS OF MAJOR BILLS
- Death penalty, a bill to give West Virginia capital punishment. Stalled in Senate Constitution Revision Committee. Right to Work, a proposed constitutional amendment to allow employers to hire outside unions. Stalled in House and Senate...
Published: Monday, March 09, 1987
MISSING "NOTABLES' CRITICISM VALID
- 55 West Virginians," our book of county histories. I say "our book" because, although my name appears as the author, it was the work of WVU Press editors, graphics arts experts and photographers who made it a a decent effort. And we...
Published: Friday, January 03, 1986
UMW TO DISCUSS POSSIBLE MERGERS
- expires Jan. 31, 1988. This will be the first national convention in the South in the union's 97-year history and the first in a right-to-work state. The site was unanimously approved by the union's 24-member International Executive...
Published: Wednesday, August 06, 1986