Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 2 - 11 of about 1,933 matching the query, best matches first.
- complained. I promised a correction. A day passed before I was able to locate Nyden. He said that the two commas "R. Keith Walters, said Hayden, was instrumental in getting Massey" meant that Hayden was saying Walters invited Massey...
Published: Friday, August 16, 1985
- by law. As related by reporter Paul Nyden, the poor, rural county happily anticipated reaping $200,000 yearly revenue for its impoverished schools and meager county government. But company avarice interfered. Massey fought its tax bill....
Published: Tuesday, July 30, 1985
- Later, Secretary of State Ken Hechler waged a court battle to prevent A.T. Massey Co. from using Ohio guards with criminal records. More recently, investigative reporter Paul Nyden found another bizarre security case, as follows: Leo...
Published: Friday, December 27, 1985
Massey Coal,Webster locked in tax battle
- lands. That decision held a taxpayer - such as East Kentucky Energy - may not get lower rates unless it proves "undervaluation" of comparable lands is "intentional and systematic." There has not been an intentional and systematic undervaluation...
Published: Sunday, February 15, 1987
WEBSTER TAX METHOD GOES TO SUPREME COURT
- Seven government associations - including the National Governors' Association, National Association of Counties and U.S. Conference of Mayors - filed a brief supporting Webster County. This brief argues the companies are seeking to...
Published: Wednesday, December 07, 1988
"BLACK WOMEN IN WHITE' DETAILS NURSES' STRUGGLE
- White nurses resented the competition, not the exploitation of. the black nurse. It intensified the general climate of racism in the profession and the steadfast bar against black women in the American Nurses Association. At the Jim...
Published: Friday, December 22, 1989
HAVE NEVER REFUSED TO NEGOTIATE, MASSEY SAYS
- P7A E. Morgan Massey, president of A.T. Massey Coal Co., was interviewed Tuesday by Gazette Publisher W.E. Chilton III and Editor Don Marsh concerning the United Mine Workers' strike at Massey's mines. CHILTON: In the interview that...
Published: Wednesday, June 12, 1985
COAL FIRM, WEBSTER OFFICIALS AT ODDS OVER TAX DEBT
- A.=T. MASSEY Coal refuses to pay taxes on coal lands it bought for $29.8 million three years ago in rugged southwestern Webster County. Webster County Sheriff Caroline S. Clayton wants to sell the property at public auction for back...
Published: Sunday, July 28, 1985
MASSEY COAL CO. TO BE SPLIT UP
- A.T. Massey Coal Co.'s operations will be split up under an agreement announced by Massey's joint owners, Fluor Corp. and Shell Oil Co. A.T. Massey Coal Co. will become a wholly owned subsidiary of California-based Fluor. Massey Coal...
Published: Wednesday, June 17, 1987
Massey urges federal coalfield violence law
- E. Morgan Massey, president of A.T. Massey Coal Co., called Friday for a federal law to deal with violence in the Southern West Virginia coalfields. Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., voted against an attempt this week to pass such a law,...
Published: Saturday, September 21, 1985