Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 13 - 22 of about 4,683 matching the query, best matches first.
FIRM TO PAY $1.48 MILLION SELENIUM FINE HOBET GIVEN NEARLY TWO MORE YEARS TO END VIOLATIONS
- reasonable, but I believe we’re giving them a reasonable amount of time to comply and bring their discharge into compliance.” Reach Ken Ward Jr. at email@example.com or 348-1702....
Published: Sunday, July 13, 2008
MINES MIGHT GET MORE TIME ON SELENIUM
- "Please do not attempt to grant the coal industry the right to evade the Clean Water Act," they said. To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Sunday, March 04, 2007
BOARD HEARS CITIZEN CONCERNS ABOUT COAL MINE SELENIUM
- Virginia University to try to find ways to comply with the selenium limits. "We need time and there is nothing unreasonable about that," McLusky said. Ken Politan, an assistant DEP mining director, testified Thursday that the agency's...
Published: Friday, November 16, 2007
TAKEOVER OF WATER PROGRAM SOUGHT ENVIRONMENTALISTS WANT EPA TO STEP IN
- and irreversibly degraded by inadequate permitting, lack of enforcement, and apparent ignorance or disregard for the law." Reach Ken Ward Jr. at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-348-1702....
Published: Thursday, June 18, 2009
Conservancy defends buffer rule anew
- does not require Coal-Mac to test rock and soil at the site for the toxic chemical selenium. The mine board is scheduled to continue hearing the case on Feb. 5. To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Wednesday, January 21, 2004
Feds to study coal combustion ash disposal Details
- seek to regulate power plant ash as a hazardous waste under the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. Instead, EPA said that it would write other rules to regulate the material as a non-hazardous industrial waste. For information,...
Published: Wednesday, January 28, 2004
FEDERAL WASTE ASH RULES NEEDED, STUDY SAYS
- is known about the potential for coal ash damaging groundwater and surface water when it is dumped at mine sites. Based on limited information, the study concluded that "the presence of high contaminant levels in many [coal ash] leachates...
Published: Thursday, March 02, 2006
Mercury emissions AEP working to reduce amount of
- Ken Ward's recent article on the W.Va. Department of Environmental Protection's mercury fish advisory and your editorial, "Mercury - Wild and Polluted" made several valid points about why we all should be concerned with mercury in...
Published: Monday, January 10, 2005
Mercury Wild and polluted?
- is mercury poisoning, but the advisory also warns of dangerous levels of dioxin and PCBs in 17 waterways. As reporter Ken Ward Jr. revealed Tuesday, state officials concluded after a two-year study that people should be warned about...
Published: Thursday, December 16, 2004
Massey Coal causes 'substantial' fish kill, DEP says
- that the company's discharge carried downstream to Madison. He called the fish kill "substantial." To contact staff writer Ken Ward Jr., use e-mail or call 348-1702....
Published: Friday, August 24, 2001