Searching the News Library is free. Download articles you want for only $4.95 each.
Documents 32 - 41 of about 32,263 matching the query, best matches first.
ACCUSATIONS FLY OVER TAX CREDIT CLAMPDOWN
- Accusations flew on the Senate floor Thursday night over attempts to clamp down on super tax credits for coal companies. A bill, previously amended in committee by Sen. Ned Jones, D-Cabell, would require the companies to prove that...
Published: Friday, April 02, 1993
- THE ABYSMAL FAILURE OF WEST VIRGINIA'S "SUPER tax credits" will make it difficult for economic development leaders to sell West Virginians on their proposal for more incentives. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. Members of...
Published: Wednesday, December 15, 1993
Super Tax credits on the decline
- Tax credit is under way, the director of the research division of the state Department of Tax and Revenue said Wednesday. Although Super Tax credits claimed in 1995 returns increased by nearly $2 million from the previous year, it is...
Published: Thursday, July 31, 1997
STATE PROVIDES $100 MILLION IN TAX BREAKS
- will go to coal companies. Legislators passed the Business Investment and Job Expansion Tax Credit Act in 1985, creating the "super tax credits," in an effort to lure the Saturn automobile plant to West Virginia. The plant eventually...
Published: Wednesday, April 20, 1994
REPEAL OF COAL SUPER TAX FAILS
- |T| MORE LEGISLATIVE NEWS, 2A, 3A, 6A Debate about the Medicaid provider tax turned into a heated referendum on super tax credits for large coal companies Wednesday When it was over, the Senate had voted 21-13 to continue the massive...
Published: Thursday, March 25, 1993
TAX CREDITS IN STATE TO DROP
- through an allowance of special benefits to some at the expense of others." Investment tax credits, often called "super tax credits," are the "area where West Virginia stands out the most. The percentage of state tax collections devoted...
Published: Sunday, January 23, 1994
A BOON OR BOONDOGGLE FOR ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT?
- During the next 10 years, a handful of coal operators will drain at least $500 million from the state treasury. They all have super tax credits, created by legislators in 1985 at the urging of former Gov. Arch Moore. The names of the...
Published: Sunday, May 27, 1990
TAX CREDIT BILLS CREATE CONFUSION
- the tax credits are complex, and delegates don't understand them. In addition, Kiss noted the Legislature got burned on super tax credits in prior years, and he said it will be incumbent on the West Virginia Development Office to make...
Published: Wednesday, January 26, 1994
TAX CREDITS AGAIN
- SUPER TAX CREDITS LED TO PAINFUL STATE LOSSES and bribery schemes under former Gov. Arch Moore. The public still doesn't know which firms got tax write-offs, how much taxes they avoided, how many jobs they allegedly created to earn...
Published: Tuesday, February 12, 1991
TAX CREDITS COST STATE $87.5 MILLION IN REVENUE
- expected, according to Tax and Revenue figures. The department had expected to write off about $60 million of taxes for super tax credits - more than 90 percent of which go to coal operators. Instead, the figure is closer to $46 million,...
Published: Saturday, July 20, 1991